Multiple choice questions on
best possible answers
1. What is the best description
for this distance time graph:
2. What is the best description
for this graph:
3. What is the best description
for this graph?
4. What is the best description
for this graph?
5. What is the formula for calculating
6. If an object speeds up from 20m/s to 100m/s in 4s,
what is its acceleration?
7. What does the gradient of distance time graph tell
8. What is the unit of speed?
9. If a
plane goes 2000m in 10 seconds - what is it's speed?
10. What is the difference between velocity and speed?
11. What does the gradient of a velocity/time graph tell
12. What does the area under the graph tell us?
13. What is the formula that connects acceleration,
velocity and time?
14. Someone's car will not
start, so two friends help them by pushing it
By pushing as hard as they
can for 10 seconds they make the car reach a speed of 2 metres per
secondCalculate the acceleration they give to the car.
15. Another motorist has the same
problem. The two friends push the
car along the same stretch of road with the same force as before.
It takes them 8 seconds to get the
second car up to a speed of 2 metres per second.
Calculate the mass of the second car. (You can ignore forces of
16. The manufacturer of a family car gave
the following information.Mass of car 900 kg. The car will accelerate from 0 to 20 m/s
in 10 seconds.
Calculate the acceleration of the car during the 10
17. A car of mass 1000kg can produce an
acceleration of 8m/s2. Calculate the force produced by the
engine – ignoring friction.
Below is a
velocity-time graph for a toy car travelling in a straight line.
18. Calculate the acceleration of the car
from B to C.
19. Calculate the distance travelled by the
car from A to B
20. A sky-diver steps out of an
aeroplane. After 30 seconds she is
falling at a steady speed of 60m/s.
She then opens her parachute.
After another 8 seconds she is once again falling at a steady speed. This speed is now only 15m/s.
Calculate the sky-diver’s average acceleration during the time from when
she opens her parachute until she reaches her slower steady speed.
21. When an object is at
rest on a surface - what can you say about the forces on it?
22. For the above: What
force acts downwards on the surface?
23. For the above: What
force acts upwards?
24. For the above: What can
you say about the size of the two forces
25. When two bodies push on
each other the forces they exert on each other are ______ and
26. _________ forces will have
no effect on the movement of an object
27. When an object is not
moving what effect will balanced forces have on the object?
28. When an object is
moving - what effect will a balanced force have on the object?
29. __________ forces are
forces on an object that do not cancel out
30. Describe the motion of
a stationary object if an unbalanced force acts on it
31. Describe the motion of
a moving object if an unbalanced force acts on it.
32. How will the mass
of the object affect the way it speeds up or slows down?
33. What is a newton a unit
34. How are force mass and
35. A force of _______ acts
when an object moves through air or water
36. A force of _________
acts when solid surfaces slide (or tend to slide) across each
37. The direction of
friction is always ________ to the direction in which the object is
38. The stopping distance of a
car is defined as depending upon just two things ...what are they?
39. When an object is
moving faster through a fluid - how does this affect the force of friction on
40. When an object reaches its
maximum speed when falling through a fluid - what do we call it?
Press the button to check your answers: